Any growth in the body is the matter of immediate concern to the individual and is often associated with the deadliest of all conditions-cancer!!
Well that may not always be the case every time. An extra growth is the indication that somewhere some cells are behaving abnormally and they need to be corrected immediately.
Women are blessed with the gift of procreation, on them rest the future of the next generation hence anxiety about their well being is prime in their family. Let’s deal with an often heard condition which many women suffer from in the present times i.e. Uterine Fibroids.
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that originate in the uterus (womb) and are composed of the same smooth muscle fibers as the uterine wall (myometrium), though at times they are denser than normal myometrium. Uterine fibroids are usually round or semi-round in shape and are described based upon their location within the uterus as:
Subserosal Fibroids – Beneath the lining on the outer side of the uterus.
Submucosal Fibroids – Inside the uterine cavity beneath the lining of uterus.
Intramural Fibroids – located within the muscular wall of the uterus.
Causes of Uterine Fibroids
Though we cannot ascertain the exact cause of these growths the following factors do play a major role in their occurrence –
- Family history is a key factor, since there is often a history of fibroids developing in women of the same family.
- Genetic abnormalities.
- Alterations in growth factor i.e. the proteins formed in the body that direct the rate and extent of cell proliferation can undergo some changes.
- Abnormalities in the vascular (blood vessel) system.
- Tissue response to injury like in repeated uterine infections.
Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids
Many women with uterine fibroids have no symptoms till a much later stage. However the following complaints are commonly associated with fibroids –
- Abnormal uterine bleeding is seen especially if the fibroids are near the uterine lining or interfere with the blood flow to the lining.
- Women experience heavy, long-lasting and painful periods.
- Large fibroids cause pelvic pain, pressure on bladder with frequent or obstructed urination and pressure on rectum with pain during defecation.
- Submucosal fibroids cause deformation of the uterine lining and cause infertility or sterility.
- Excessive bloating sensation and abdominal lump is noticed in large fibroids.
Mostly the fibroids are discovered by ultra sonography of the pelvis and they are not a major threat to the woman but one must watch for them if there is an abnormal increase in the size over a short period of time as that maybe cancerous. Other complications which can occur are –
- Severe anemia due to heavy bleeding.
- Interference with growth of fetus during pregnancy and problem during delivery.
- Infections along with bleeding.
Homeopathy for Uterine Fibroids
The most common solution which is offered by the doctors for fibroids is surgery which on the other hand leads to more problems like surgically induced menopause and abrupt onset of symptoms like hot flashes, mood swings, loss of libido, weight gain, malaise or tiredness, osteoporosis and sometimes acne and unwanted hair growth. The other option they give is Hormone therapy which also produces similar effects as above.
- Homeopathy on the other hand offers a way out without any such side effects. These remedies are especially beneficial if the treatment is started before the tumors become very large.
- These medications control further growth of the fibroids and gradually reduce the size of the existing ones.
- Symptoms like abnormal bleedings and menstrual cycles, anemia, urinary problems can also be taken care of by homeopathy.
- Ustilago and Trillium are two such indicated medicines for bleeding disorders related to fibroids.
- Aurum metallicum is the medicine especially suited to large fibroids.
- Deep acting constitutional remedies like Thuja and Calcarea flour are given to patient to reduce the tendency to form the fibroids and control the existing ones.
- Proper and complete course of homeopathy taken from an experienced homeopath will save the woman from the knife and all the complications arising from it thereafter.