PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) or PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a disease caused by multiple cysts (small sacs filled with fluid) in the ovaries. Patients with PCOD have abnormal levels of hormones that result in irregular menses and infertility.
Lack of awareness and lifestyle changes are two major factors leading to this phenomenon. PCOD has now become a common health problem that affects teenage girls and young women. In India, nearly 40% of women are affected by PCOD. Although, only 60% report to hospitals for treatment, when they recognize that they are suffering from infertility.
Up to 40% of women with PCOD develop either impaired glucose tolerance or type 2 diabetes by age 40 as reported in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology in 2000.
What causes PCOD?
- Raised level of Testosterone – Higher than normal levels of androgens in women can prevent the ovaries from releasing eggs during the menstrual cycle. Excess androgen is produced by the theca cells of the ovaries, due to hyperinsulinemia or increased luteinizing hormone (LH) levels.
- Low levels of Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG) – A protein in the blood, which binds to testosterone and reduces the effect of testosterone.
- Raised levels of Prolactin – Prolactin is a hormone that stimulates the breast glands to produce milk during pregnancy.
- High levels of Insulin – A hormone that helps convert sugars and starches into energy. If you have insulin resistance, your ability to use insulin effectively is impaired, and also your pancreas has to secrete more insulin to make glucose available to cells also called hyperinsulinemia. Excess insulin might also affect the ovaries by increasing androgen production, which may interfere with the ovaries’ ability to ovulate.
The cause of PCOD is unknown, but studies suggest a strong genetic component that is affected by gestational environment, lifestyle factors or both. Women who have PCOD are at an increased risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes and pre-diabetes, endometrial cancer, heart attack, hypertension, high levels of low-density lipoprotein and low levels of high-density lipoprotein.
Diet for PCOD
The Polycystic ovarian disease is a common hormonal disorder found in one out of 10 women.
- Hydrate yourself well with a minimum of 2-3 liters of water, coconut water, buttermilk, vegetable soups and smoothies. Avoid aerated drinks and sugary foods.
- Your diet should consist of lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Eat unsaturated fats and avoid consuming saturated and hydrogenated fats in your diet.
- Consume whole wheat products like wheat pasta. Avoid maida.
- Include natural herbs in your diet like flax seeds, methi seeds, coriander, cinnamon.
- Include millet, ragi, oats etc. Eat walnuts and almonds.
- Maintain a low salt diet to avoid water retention.
- Exercise 30-40 minutes daily.
PCOD is the most common hormonal reproductive problem in women of childbearing age. The most important step is to diagnose the condition in time and provide proper treatment for PCOD so that it will help to reduce a girl’s or young woman’s chances of having serious side effects later on.
How can Homeopathy help?
The human body has been perfectly enabled by nature to keep itself disease-free. It is only when the immunity or its own internal vitality is deranged that the body becomes incapable of keeping itself disease-free. Therefore, Homeopathy tries to restore the balance of that vitality. Once the vitality regains its original balance, it is able to nurse itself back to health without any external aid.
- Homeopathic medicines correct the hormonal imbalance & neutralize its negative effects.
- The cysts dissolve gradually and can be checked in the next f/u after 3-6 months of starting the treatment, by repeating the USG pelvis.
- The menstrual cycle gets regularized. Other complaints, including acne and hair growth on the face, are also taken care of.
- It opens the possibility of becoming fertile in the future for women to bear pregnancy.
Dr. Mahavrat’s Homoeopathic treatment has no side effects and holistically treats individuals. Homoeopathic medicines can modify general tendencies, thus helping to cure the conditions.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica refers to pain that begins in the lower back and travels down the lower limbs traversing the root of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the human body. It marks its beginning in the lower back and runs down the hips, back of legs and down to the feet. There is one sciatic nerve on either side of the body and any one of them may be involved when pain is experienced. Irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve leads to sciatica.
What causes Sciatica?
The main causes of sciatica are pinching, compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve. This pinching or compression may result from a disc bulge or a herniated disc in the lower spine. Other causes of sciatic nerve compression are degeneration of the spinal disc, stenosis (narrowing) of the spinal canal, bone spurs, spondylolisthesis (dislocated vertebra), piriformis syndrome and compression of the sciatic nerve from a tumor in the spine.
What are the signs and symptoms of Sciatica?
When pain in the lower back radiates down in either of the legs is the sign that you have sciatica. The pain may be dull, tearing, shooting, lancinating or electric shock-like in nature. Few other symptoms that persist are numbness, tingling, burning sensation, or weakness in the affected side of the lower limb. Standing or sitting for long worsens the pain. Lying down or walking relieves the symptoms. Doctors usually prescribe investigations such as x-rays, MRI, CT scan, EMG i.e. Electromyography.
How can Homeopathy help?
Homeopathy is a very advanced science equipped to treat sciatica. Homeopathic medicines can help in healing acute as well as chronic sciatica naturally without any side-effects.
Homeopathic medicines are extremely effective and have the power to treat even severe cases of sciatica and avoid surgical procedures. However, the extent of benefit from these medicines will be based on factors such as duration, intensity, and cause of sciatica. Spinal surgery can be avoided in a large number of cases. Some well recognized homeopathic medicines for sciatica pain are colocynthis, magnesia phosphorica, gnaphalium polycephalum, arnica, Rhus tox, and cotyledon.
Can lifestyle changes help treat Sciatica?
Lifestyle changes can truly help in managing sciatica pain and to an extent help it can heal fast when accompanied by homeopathic medicines. It is very important to have a correct posture while you sit and stand which can help to reduce the stress and pain on your back. Avoid forward or backward bending, lifting heavyweights and prolonged sitting and standing. Reduce your body weight, avoid high heels and quitting smoking. To further reduce pain, warm applications in the affected area are advised. Sleeping on a firm mattress is also recommended. Stretching exercises and physiotherapy also hasten the positive effects of homeopathic medicines on sciatica pain and help the condition to heal faster.
Dr. Mahavrat Cosmic Homeo Healing Centre, Vadodara provides the best homeopathic treatments for treating sciatica. Visit our website to know more about our treatments and facilities.
Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) is a hormonal disorder occurring in women. The disorder is also called Stein – Leventhal Syndrome. The name is derived from two American gynacs Michael L Leventhal and Irvin F Stein who described this disease in 1935.
PCOD is a name given to particular set of symptoms that occurs when there are hormonal imbalances in a woman’s body. The symptoms of PCOD include no or late periods, heavy bleeding during periods, growth of facial hair, weight gain, acne, pain in pelvic region and difficulty in getting pregnant.
The disorder occurs between the ages of 18 and 44 and around 5 to 10% of women get affected by the disease. PCOD patients have cysts in their ovaries. The cysts result in hormonal disturbances. Deficiency or excess of a hormone can affect other hormones. In PCOD, the level of androgen is more than normal.
Androgens are male hormones which are present in small quantity in females. When the level increases, it causes late menstruation. The ovulation cycle gets disrupted and ovulation might be delayed or do not happen. Facial hair and hair on other parts of the body start growing in females which are otherwise not present.
The exact cause of PCOD is unknown. It might run in families. Obesity can also cause PCOD. Thus, regular exercise can tend to reduce the symptoms of PCOD in overweight individuals. Diabetes or insulin resistance can also trigger PCOD. The symptoms of PCOD include excess of male hormones, irregular menses, obesity, fertility issues, cysts in ovaries and skin discoloration.
The complications of PCOD are high cholesterol levels, metabolic syndrome, depression, infertility, cancer, type 2 diabetes and sleep apnoea. One should not consume oral contraceptives for treating PCOD. Homeopathy is perhaps the best treatment of PCOD as it cures the root of the disease. Homeopathy restores natural vitality of the body. Once the vitality is restored, the body starts functioning at the normal pace.
The five best homeopathic medicines for the treatment of PCOD are Graphites, Sepia, Pulsatilla, ApisMellifica and Lachesis. The prescription of medicines might differ from person to person and one should not experiment with the medicines on their own. Many other medicines apart from the above-mentioned medicines are also recommended to treat PCOD.
Skin is actually the largest organ of the body which weighs about 4 kg on an average of an adult human being. It approximately covers an area of about two square metres. The skin serves a lot of functions and among them the most important is the protection against chemicals, microbes, radiation etc. The skin also helps in the preservation of the proper balance of the internal environment by helping to keep us warm and prevents us from drying up. Moreover, the skin has the sensation of touch in all its variety.
Main Parts of Skin
The skin of human beings has two main parts that are as follows.
Epidermis – This is the superficial layer of the skin with varying thickness in various places of the body like 0.1 mm on the eyelids and 1 mm on the soles of the feet. The epidermis is devoid of blood vessels and the most superficial layer is dead which sheds constantly.
Dermis – It is the inner layer of the skin lying below the dermis supporting as well as nourishing it along with providing a number of other functions and immunity.
Allergies of the Skin
Skin problems are very commonly occurring and studies have revealed that about 20 to 30 percent of the population suffer from some or the other skin problems. The most commonly occurring skin problems is skin allergies which can be of numerous types and is mostly curable. The most serious form of skin problem is malignant melanoma which is actually the most aggressive form of skin cancer.
Skin allergies include eczema, psoriasis, hives and a number of others. Some other allergies of skin are induced by the external environment like bites of insects, exposure of chemicals, burns etc. The different types allergies of the skin are characterised by something different such as rashes, reddening of skin, itching sensation, bumps of skin and many more.
Homeopathic Treatment of Skin Allergies
Homeopathic treatment for skin allergies is certainly one of the most preferred form of treatment whether it be eczema, psoriasis or the others. This is because of the fact that homeopathy tries to holistically take care of the allergies of the skin by the treatment of the underlying causes rather than just supressing the symptoms of the condition that has occurred. In an addition to this, treatment with homeopathy makes sure that there are no side effects. This is undoubtedly one of the major reasons as to why most of the affected individuals with some or the other skin allergies opt for homeopathic treatment.
How CHHC Helps?
CHHC is one of the most trusted and reputed homeopathic clinics that helps the individuals affected with skin allergies offering them with the best possible treatment. The doctors at the clinic are adequately trained and vastly experienced so as to make sure that only the best as well as the most effective homeopathic medicines are prescribed for the purpose of offering the best cure. Some of the most common homeopathic medicines used by CHHC for dealing with the skin allergies are as listed below.
- Arsenicum – It is used to treat the ailments of the skin in cases where the skin gets thickened like in cases of chronic eczema, chronic urticarial and psoriasis.
- Apis Mellifica – This medicine is used for urticarial infections with a sudden onset of formation of welts that is widespread.
- Hepar Sulphur – It is of great help in the treatment of moist eruptions on the folds of the skin as well as joints.
- Caladium – Caladium is great in case of asthmatics who tend to suffer from rashes.
- Medorrhinum – It is used for especially the babies who have rashes around their anus referred to as the diaper rashes. This medicine helps in the eruptions to subside.
- Sulphur – Sulphur is just great for rashes that are extremely itchy with a burning sensation. It is good for rough, dry and peeling skin or in cases of fluid filled bumps or blisters.
- Psorinum – This is an extremely powerful homeopathic medicines for itching and skin rashes particularly in the bend of joints.
- Belladonna – It is used for sudden appearance of bright red rashes along with a feeling of heat and the rashes appear intensely.
- Camphora – This is remedy for rash that arises as a result of exposure to sun.
So, at any point of time you feel that you are facing a lot of trouble with skin allergies, do not waste any more time and come to CHHC for getting the best treatment from the most experienced doctors.