PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) or PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a disease caused by multiple cysts (small sacs filled with fluid) in the ovaries. Patients with PCOD have abnormal levels of hormones that result in irregular menses and infertility.
Lack of awareness and lifestyle changes are two major factors leading to this phenomenon. PCOD has now become a common health problem that affects teenage girls and young women. In India, nearly 40% of women are affected by PCOD. Although, only 60% report to hospitals for treatment, when they recognize that they are suffering from infertility.
Up to 40% of women with PCOD develop either impaired glucose tolerance or type 2 diabetes by age 40 as reported in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology in 2000.
What causes PCOD?
- Raised level of Testosterone – Higher than normal levels of androgens in women can prevent the ovaries from releasing eggs during the menstrual cycle. Excess androgen is produced by the theca cells of the ovaries, due to hyperinsulinemia or increased luteinizing hormone (LH) levels.
- Low levels of Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG) – A protein in the blood, which binds to testosterone and reduces the effect of testosterone.
- Raised levels of Prolactin – Prolactin is a hormone that stimulates the breast glands to produce milk during pregnancy.
- High levels of Insulin – A hormone that helps convert sugars and starches into energy. If you have insulin resistance, your ability to use insulin effectively is impaired, and also your pancreas has to secrete more insulin to make glucose available to cells also called hyperinsulinemia. Excess insulin might also affect the ovaries by increasing androgen production, which may interfere with the ovaries’ ability to ovulate.
The cause of PCOD is unknown, but studies suggest a strong genetic component that is affected by gestational environment, lifestyle factors or both. Women who have PCOD are at an increased risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes and pre-diabetes, endometrial cancer, heart attack, hypertension, high levels of low-density lipoprotein and low levels of high-density lipoprotein.
Diet for PCOD
The Polycystic ovarian disease is a common hormonal disorder found in one out of 10 women.
- Hydrate yourself well with a minimum of 2-3 liters of water, coconut water, buttermilk, vegetable soups and smoothies. Avoid aerated drinks and sugary foods.
- Your diet should consist of lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Eat unsaturated fats and avoid consuming saturated and hydrogenated fats in your diet.
- Consume whole wheat products like wheat pasta. Avoid maida.
- Include natural herbs in your diet like flax seeds, methi seeds, coriander, cinnamon.
- Include millet, ragi, oats etc. Eat walnuts and almonds.
- Maintain a low salt diet to avoid water retention.
- Exercise 30-40 minutes daily.
PCOD is the most common hormonal reproductive problem in women of childbearing age. The most important step is to diagnose the condition in time and provide proper treatment for PCOD so that it will help to reduce a girl’s or young woman’s chances of having serious side effects later on.
How can Homeopathy help?
The human body has been perfectly enabled by nature to keep itself disease-free. It is only when the immunity or its own internal vitality is deranged that the body becomes incapable of keeping itself disease-free. Therefore, Homeopathy tries to restore the balance of that vitality. Once the vitality regains its original balance, it is able to nurse itself back to health without any external aid.
- Homeopathic medicines correct the hormonal imbalance & neutralize its negative effects.
- The cysts dissolve gradually and can be checked in the next f/u after 3-6 months of starting the treatment, by repeating the USG pelvis.
- The menstrual cycle gets regularized. Other complaints, including acne and hair growth on the face, are also taken care of.
- It opens the possibility of becoming fertile in the future for women to bear pregnancy.
Dr. Mahavrat’s Homoeopathic treatment has no side effects and holistically treats individuals. Homoeopathic medicines can modify general tendencies, thus helping to cure the conditions.