Conjunctivitis is a common eye infection affecting adults and children. It is caused by allergens and irritants, bacteria and viruses that cause other common diseases, such as the common cold. The disease is treatable and the treatment depends on the specific cause. Bacterial and viral conjunctivitis are highly contagious and communicable. Let’s know more about Conjunctivitis and its Homeopathic Treatment.
What is Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye)?
Conjunctivitis or pink eye is an inflammation of the conjunctiva. The Conjunctiva is the clear tissue lining the inside of your eyelid and the outer coating of your eye. This tissue offers moisture to your eyelids and eyeballs. Pink eye can occur in a single or both eyes at a time. When it happens in both eyes, it tends to be due to viral/bacterial conjunctivitis. Pink eye often affects children the most. It can be highly contagious and usually spreads rapidly in schools and daycare centers. It is rarely serious and does not cause vision loss but gives discomfort to the patient.
If you have conjunctivitis due to allergens like pollens; you may develop tearing, itching, and redness in both eyes. Apart from these symptoms, you might also have an itchy, runny nose. It’s also possible to develop an allergic type of pink eye called Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis if you wear hard contact lenses or soft contact lenses that aren’t replaced frequently enough.
This is the most common type of Conjunctivitis and may be the most contagious too. It is caused by Common Cold Viruses. It can occur if someone with an upper respiratory infection coughs or sneezes close to you. It can also occur when you have a cold virus yourself and blow your nose too hard. This can push the infection from your respiratory system to your eyes. They tend to start in one eye, where they produce lots of tears and a watery discharge from the infected eye. Within a few days, the other eye gets involved. Most cases of viral conjunctivitis are mild, and the infection goes away in a couple of weeks.
Bacterial Conjunctivitis is caused by staphylococcal or streptococcal bacteria and it usually infects one eye but can show up in both. It typically occurs due to things like touching your eyes with unclean hands, sharing makeup, or having physical contact with someone who may also have conjunctivitis. Your eye will put out a lot of pus and mucus. Mild bacterial conjunctivitis often goes away on its own without any treatment and complications. It usually improves in two to five days.
Some chemicals may also produce Pink eyes such as air pollution, and chlorine in swimming pools.
Ophthalmia neonatorum (Neonatal Conjunctivitis)
Ophthalmia neonatorum is a type of conjunctivitis seen in the neonatal period (first 30 days after birth), occurring in 1% to 12% of neonates. It can be caused by dangerous bacteria. This, if left untreated, may be blinding so get it treated right away to prevent permanent eye damage or blindness. Bacterial and viral infections are major causes of septic neonatal conjunctivitis, with Chlamydia being the most common infectious agent and Neisseria being the most visually threatening. Infants may acquire these infective agents as they pass through the birth canal during the birth process.
Symptoms of Conjunctivitis:
→ Swelling of Conjunctiva
→ Redness of eye and/ or eyelid
→ Increased tears than usual
→ Thick white/ yellow/ occasionally greenish eye discharge that deposits over eyelids while sleep and sticks the lids together on waking up.
→ Burning eyes
→ Itching in eyes
→ Increased sensitivity to light
→ Blurred vision
Preventive Measures for Conjunctivitis
Practicing good hygiene controls the spread of pink eye. These include:
• Maintain a high level of hygiene at home, especially if one or more family members suffer from pink eye.
• Wash your pillowcases, towels, and bed sheets in hot water and detergent. It will prevent the spreading of the infection. Also, use a good-quality disinfectant to clean your home and keep it germless.
• Prevent sharing personal belongings.
• Wash your hands thoroughly at regular intervals. Avoid touching your face and eyes too often.
• Keep more immune-boosting food in your diet. Add green leafy vegetables and orange-colored foods to your diet, as these are rich in beta-carotene. These foods improve the immune system, minimizing infection’s chance.
• Avoid sharing and wearing eye makeup and contact lenses.
Management for Conjunctivitis
→ Cleaning the eyelids with a wet cloth
→ Apply warm compresses several times a day.
→ If you are using contact lenses, you are advised to stop wearing them until the completion of the treatment.
Homeopathic Treatment for Conjunctivitis:
1. Aconite: This remedy is indicated during the first stage of conjunctivitis when you have firey red eyes with severe swelling of the eyelids with burning inside the eyes. Your eyes are extremely sensitive to light and there is excessive pus-like discharge from the eyes.
2. Argentum Nitricum: Indicated when you have thick pus-like mucous discharging from the eyes with conjunctivitis, this mucus adheres to your cornea blocking your vision temporarily and you have to wipe your eyes frequently. You have excessive tears running from your eyes, discharge agglutinates your eyelids in the mornings.
3. Kali Bich: Indicated in the chronic form of Conjunctivitis with recurrent attacks. Yellowish pus-like discharge is deposited in the corners of the eyes and lids get stuck up in the mornings. Burning eyes with a feeling of heat in eyes. Firey red eyes and you constantly want to rub your eyes to clear them. You can not tolerate light on your eyes.
4. Euphrasia: Indicated when you have red, swollen eyes with thick yellowish discharge that burns your lids and cheeks terribly. Blurred vision and you have a constant desire to wink to clear the vision. Eyepains are more felt during the night.
5. Spigelia: Indicated when you have severe pain in the eyes that even moving eyes cause severe pain. You have a constant feeling of squeezing in your eyes as if the eyes are too large to accommodate in their place. Highly sensitive eyes to light with blurred vision and constant desire to wipe the eyes, but wiping makes the vision more blur.
Why Choose Cosmic Homeo Healing Center?
Homeopathic medicines encourage natural healing at the cellular level and strengthen the immune response and function of affected organs by restoring the natural ecosystem of the body in such a way that microorganisms no longer find it conducive to their existence. In Homeopathy ultra-diluted doses of naturally occurring substances – plants, minerals or animal-are used to stimulate a sick person’s natural defenses. At Dr, Mahavrat’s Cosmic Homeo Healing Centre, highly effective treatment is offered to fight against several eye infections, including conjunctivitis. We take individual care and dedicate ourselves to holistic treatment.