A ganglion cyst is a fluid-filled lump under the skin, often found over a joint or in a tendon in the hand or wrist. It forms when there is a small tear in the sleeve of thin tissue that covers a joint or tendon, causing the tissue to bulge and form a sac.
What causes a Ganglion cyst ?
There’s no known cause for ganglion cysts. These types of cysts occur as a result of some type of trauma or irritation. Ganglion cysts occur when fluid accumulates in a joint or around the tendons in your:
What Symptoms will develop if you have Ganglion ?
- Appearance of a lump
- Pressure or pain when bending the joint if a cyst is big
- Discomfort, tingling, or numbness if the cyst is pressing on a nerve
- Pain is not usually intense if there’s pain at all
- Skin over the cyst may feel smooth, round, and rubbery
- Less range of motion where the cyst is or less strength to grip things
Are Ganglion cysts harmful?
Generally speaking, ganglion cysts are nothing to worry about. Fairly common, they are usually harmless, aren’t cancerous, don’t spread, and often disappear on their own. The main problem with them is that people who have them may feel they are unsightly and, if they grow too large, they can hurt and limit function.
How to detect Ganglion cyst ?
A ganglion cyst can often be diagnosed during a clinic visit. The doctor or health care provider will take your child’s medical history and do a physical exam.
- Special testing is not needed unless your child has a lot of pain where the cyst is.
- Sometimes an X-ray, ultrasound, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test may be ordered. X-rays will not show a ganglion cyst, but they may show other problems. An MRI can find hidden cysts under the skin or reveal other causes of your child’s pain.
Differential Diagnosis of Ganglion Cyst
- Lipoma– A freely movable, soft, fluctuant mass that does not transilluminate.
- Giant cell tumor of the tendon sheath– A firm, fixed swelling generally occurring on the flexor surfaces on the tendons in the region of the hand; does not transilluminate.
- Tenosynovitis– Diffuse swelling and bogginess of the tenosynovium overlying a tendon; usually tracks along the tendon in a longitudinal fashion.
- Neuroma– Less mobile and does not transilluminate.
- Soft tissue sarcoma (eg, fibrosarcoma) – Less mobile and typically not well circumscribed.
- Gouty tophus– A hard, nodular mass commonly found around the fingers, at the tips of the elbows, and around the big toe.
- Osteosarcoma– Immobile and not well circumscribed
How Homeopathy helps ?
Homeopathy offers an alternative approach to treat ganglion cysts by addressing the tendency of cyst formation of body and prevent recurrence of cyst . Homeopathic remedies are derived from natural substances and are highly individualized, taking into account the unique symptoms and characteristics of each person.
Homeopathic Remedies for Ganglion Cysts
- Ruta Graveolens: – Ruta is prepared from a plant Ruta graveolens commonly named as garden rue or bitterwort .The ganglion tend to interfere with joint movement of wrist. Pain in the hand and wrist may also arise where Ruta is indicated. In some cases numbness in the hands may be present with above symptoms. The numbness and tingling in the hands when present tends to appear after exercise most of the times. A history of injury to tendon or joint may be found in cases that require Ruta.
- Carbo Veg: – Acute drawing pain in the forearm, the wrist, and the fingers relaxation of muscles of the arm and of hands-on laughing. Tension in the joints of the hand and cramp-like pain in the hands.
- Causticum: – Drawing pain in hands and joint of the finger. Spasmodic weakness and trembling in hands painful torpor of finger. Pain in arm at night. Paralytic feelings in hands.
- Silicea: – Ganglion on the wrist, purulent vesical with burning in the finger. Tearing, drawing sticking pain in the finger as if suppurating. Numb feeling in fingers.
Selecting the appropriate homeopathic remedy for a ganglion cyst requires a thorough evaluation of the individual’s symptoms, including the location, pain characteristics, and associated factors. It is recommended to consult a qualified homeopathic practitioner for an accurate diagnosis and personalized treatment plan.
Why Cosmic Homeo Healing Centre?
At our Cosmic Homeo Healing Centre, under the able guidance of second generation homeopathic doctor, Dr. Mahavrat S. Patel, our team of experts have helped thousands of cases of Ganglion cyst with homeopathic medicines for permanent and long lasting relief.