What is Oral Lichen Planus?
Oral Lichen Planus (OLP) is an inflammatory condition affecting the mucous membranes inside the mouth (i.e. the inner surface of the cheeks, tongue, gums, inner surface of lips and palate). A condition that leads to the development of white, lacy patterned lesions or sores in the mouth.
Oral Lichen Planus is an auto-immune disease. The T-cells of the immune system get activated and attack the lining of the mouth, resulting in inflammation and lesions.
What causes Oral Lichen Planus?
The following factors can cause you to develop Oral Lichen Planus –
- Having an auto-immune disorder
- Sustaining an injury to the mouth
- Having an Oral infection
- Taking certain medications
- Having an allergic reaction to something that has come into contact with the mouth, like food or dental appliances
What are the signs and symptoms of Oral Lichen Planus?
The white, lacy patches may cause pain and discomfort when they appear on the inside of the cheeks. However, symptoms accompanying red, swollen patches and open sores may include –
- Burning sensation and pain
- Sensitivity to hot, spicy and acidic food
- Bleeding and irritation while brushing teeth
- Inflammation of gum
- Painful and thickened patches on the tongue
- Discomfort when speaking, chewing or swallowing
The symptoms can usually be managed, but people who have oral lichen planus need regular monitoring as they may be at the risk of developing mouth cancer in the affected areas.
How can Homeopathy help in treating Oral Lichen Planus?
Homeopathic medicines for oral lichen planus help heal the lesions and sores and also help in treating the symptoms like pain, burning sensation and bleeding of lesions.
Homeopathic medicines such as Borax, Plantago, Merc Sol are some of the natural remedies that help in treating Oral Lichen Planus.
- Merc Sol is one of the top homeopathic medicines for Oral Lichen Planus as it works effectively in cases where there are red and inflamed patches in the mucous membrane of the mouth.
- Plantago is a natural homeopathic medicine prepared from the plant Plantago and works well in cases where there are sores in the mouth and bleeding from the gums.
- Borax is a well indicated homeopathic remedy for oral lichen planus attended with fungal infections of the mouth.
Homeopathy provides excellent medicines to treat Oral Lichen Planus. The homeopathic medicines are natural, safe and effective.